This sausage apple recipe is inspired by one I saw in Food & Wine Magazine contributed by Daniel Orr. The preparation is so easy, it’s hard to believe. Plus, it requires a minimal number of ingredients. Better still, the hubby asked if we can add it to our rotation!
Makes 4 servings
1 tablespoon butter
One package Kielbasa sausage (I use turkey Kielbasa cut into fourths or sometimes a 12 oz. package Aidell’s Chicken and Apple Minis)
1/2 cup white wine
2 apples (we like Fuji or Granny Smith), halved
1. Melt the butter in an oven safe skillet over medium heat.
2. Next, add the apples to the skillet, cut side down and cook until they start to brown.
3. Now, add the sausages and wine. Put the skillet in a preheated 375° oven for 15 minutes or until sausages are fully heated through.
Boom – that’s it!
Serve over creamy polenta that has been prepared with whole milk, and pour a white wine. Now, read on to discover the perfect wine pairings for this sausage apple recipe.
The Roussanne variety hails from the Rhône region of France and is now also found in Washington State. On an evening in which a simple dinner needs a bit of a boost Roussanne offers something a little unexpected and more refined. Therefore, we turned to a selection purchased from Woodinville based Avennia (a VinoSocial client). The acclaimed winery released their first offering of this variety last year in a sophisticated blend that includes Roussanne’s sister grape, Marsanne. As a result, it’s a special bottle that can pleasantly help break up the monotony of sheltering in place! Notes of apples and pears in this lively wine complement the flavor profile of the dish.
In our house we drink a lot of Riesling. Aged Riesling, dry Riesling, sweet Riesling, German Riesling, Washington Riesling – any of it and all of it! Between the sausage and the apples, the dish has some sweetness to it. Consequently, it’s a perfect pairing for an off-dry Riesling.
Alternatively, a Chardonnay can work well because the wine plays off the creamy texture of the polenta served with the recipe.
- Interested in more dinner inspiration? Try my Primavera Pesto Pasta Recipe!
- Throughout this month (May 2020) Avennia has a special offer that includes delivery in King County or shipping on new purchases of 3 or more regular bottles. This is not sponsored; however, it is a great deal!